AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ademola Iyi-eweka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:03:00 -0600
Peter Amakobe:

I think an apology to me is order here. I did not respond to Fabo Mogaka
because,  apart from misunderstanding and misinterpreting my posting, she
delved into religious history.  Fabu Mogaka's interpretation of the coming
of Christianity to black Africa is totally wrong.  I just wanted to avoid
getting involved in academic arguement with Fabu Mogaka.   It would also
seem that she did not understand the difference between the African Kwanzaas
and the one celebrated in America. The Igue festival of the Edos can also be
called a Kwanzaa for lack of name.  You do not insult a whole ethnic group
as you have done in your mail.  I never insulted the Kenyans in any shape or
form.  I never insulted the African-Americans or Dr. Karenga in any way or
shape.
Over sensitivity can lead to serious mistakes.

  My point is simply that if African-Americans can dig into the past in
Africa and come off with the concept of kwanzaa as observed in USA, we the
new comers should not forget what we left behind in our respective cultural
environment.  Whether you like it or not the kwanzaa of the USA is
CONTRIVED.  The facts are there.   There is no where in my article did I
compare Igue Festival and Kwanzaa and then pass a judgement.

But does that diminish its importance ? NO.   Is it good for the African
Americans to go back to their African roots?  YES!  YES!!  But will I throw
my IGUE FESTIVAL into the dust bin because of kwanzaa? NO! NO!! NO !!!
Every African group has her own kwanzaa.

If you do not apologize, I will formally complain to the President and
executive of the African Association Inc.

I am aware of what Matthew Jallow wrote in my defence.  But you are fond of
doing this type of writing.

Good evening

Ademola Iyi Eweka.