AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Brewoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:22:31 -0600
Folks,

Elections have come and gone and there is a still uncertainty in who is the
43rd president of the US. Well, AAM will have its election on Dec 2, but
you bet there will be an elected executive by close of the day so come and
vote. Ghana will also go for its elections on
Dec 7, and I am sure they will certainly declare a winner probably before
the US. Don't you trust us.

Anyway this is just a preamble to what I want us discuss, displaced as it
may be. Can I have some informed discussion on Female Circumcision, what
the west wants us to call female genital mutilation. Please, don't let us
be too feminist, after all feminism is western, I dey beg oohhh!!!!

What is wrong with this tradition of female circumcision that had been
practiced by some members of our community for centuries??? Do we need
ignorant people from elsewhere to force us abandon our identity?? or is it
because we want to please them?? However when Mugabe declares war on gay
and lesbianism in Zimbabwe that become a taboo in the western world. The
ball is in your court. I guess we can start from here. Enjoy it and
participate!!!!! This is to relax you as the year gets to an end.

Joe