C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 15:29:05 -0400
7bit
From:
Kelly Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Everyone,
    I don't write very much mostly just read about everyone. However
have I got some news for you. I don't know if any of you are involved in
an FSS program. Family Support Services. What it is is a state funded
program that gives out a grant either quarterly, bi quartly or yearly. (
I live in PA). Rodney got $604.00 this year which is to spent on him for
things a normal child would not have to have. For example before I knew
that medicaid would pay for pediasure we used it to buy that. You can
use so much per year for clothes, special trips, respite care and so on.

    About 3 weeks ago we were down to New Haven PA to the Lehigh Valley
Gorge. While we were walking on the trails someone stole our stereo in
our van and set it on fire. I only had liability insurance so nothing
was covered. My house insurance wouldn't cover anything because it did
not happen on the property. Anyway Rodney had a buggy/ stroller type
thing we used for when we traveled as his wheelchair is awkward big and
does not fold very well, the new one is worse, you have to take the seat
out, the one arm drive off, the foot amd head rests off and it won't
even fit onto a trunk. They told me when we got this it would be so much
easier. Yeah right! We are not sure if his buggy was used to carry the
stolen merchandise or if it was burned in the fire. I sent the
information to our FSS Coordinator and he is going to try and get us a
new buggy. I sent him the information on this buggy I found here
http://www.adaptivemall.com/mainbug.html He is going to try to crunch
some numbers and get this for him. He is going to get back w/ me in a
couple of days.
    What I really wanted to let you all know is that there are some new
Federal Based Waiver programs that our FSS Coordinator is checking into.
They will provide up to $20,000 per year  for adaptive equipment and
other things that special needs children need that we can not afford
because our insurance doesn't cover it, and I'm wonderng if this will
pay for HBOT. I know it will cover therapies and nursing and things like
that. Since this is Federal I think its something that we all can look
into and should be available to all of us. If you are able to get the
Federal Based Waiver then you are not eligible for the state funded
program.

Kelly Rodney's Mom
North Western Pennsylvania