AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"Library Access -- http://www.rit.edu/~easi" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"RAYMOND A. DECOSSE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:18:50 -0400
Good morning Kate,
    The two programs that we use here at Cambrian College, Sudbury, ON, is the Kurzweil 3000 Scan and Read and the TextHelp.
The Kurzweil 3000 Scan and Read is used to scan books and with a click of a button it will read the text.  With this program you can also check the definition, the pronunciation and the spelling.  The TextHelp program is used as an speech output also but it can also be used by students when they are typing.  As a student is typing, when configured right, the computer will speak each letter, word or sentence.  It also has a "correct spelling as you type" option.
    We purchased the Kurzweil 3000 from Frontier Computers in Toronto and we are resellers for TextHelp.

Hope that helps,

Raymond A. Decosse
Technologist
The Glenn Crombie Centre
Cambrian College
1400 Barrydowne Road
Sudbury, ON
P3A 3V8

Phone - (705) 566-8101 Ext. 7546
Fax      - (705) 566-5452

E-mail - [log in to unmask]
Homepage: http://homepages.cambrianc.on.ca/snrrc/
TTY     - (705) 560-1TTY (889)

>>> [log in to unmask] 7/31/2000 10:07:13 pm >>>
I am looking for software that will be easily used by students with learning
disabilities, for example, something with audio output rather than text, or
something that would enlarge text, which is helpful for those with dyslexia.
Can anyone recommend any titles?  Thanks.
Kate O'Connell