From:
Matthew W Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 07:10:59 -0700

Dear Members,

Some of you might remember a query I posted regarding travel in and
around Memphis TN.  I received responses of two types, General travel
information, and travel information regarding Memphis.  I have chosen to
break up my summaries accordingly.

Before I ever heard of Celiac Disease, whenever I traveled I looked for
resaurants catering to the region I was visiting.  In many cases when I
asked around, I got the usual "oh, there's a good family restaurant on
the corner." or "There is a McDonald's up the street."  I had to question
long and hard for good regional examples.  Thank-you to those who gave me
a heads-up on the local area.

Wild Oats was a surprise.  I think of it as Nature's Fresh Northwest, a
local chain, something only a group of Granola eating Oregonians could
come up with.  Thank goodness I was wrong (although my regional pride was
a bit wounded).

Here is the Summary of places to eat, shop, and things to watch out for.

*The local Black Apples (actually a deep red) are amazing in Tennessee
about now (Mid July).

*"I used to live in Tennessee; and have one observation about the local
culture.  People tend to be VERY friendly, helpful, but don't have that
'big city' efficiency.  So it is likely that if you do brave restaurants,
you may have to send an order back - don't worry, your server won't be
offended if you're polite and patient, and your server WILL get it right
if you are just persistent"

*"I travel a lot for work.  In the south, you can bank on having a
breakfast buffet in your hotel with yogurt (still check the label), fresh
fruit and grits...." -- "...which can be quite good despite the jokes. It
has a lot more taste than Cream of Rice...."

*Wild Oats is a health food store there: 5022 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN
38117 Tel: 901.685.2293, Fax: 901.685.7961

*Steak and Ale is a restaurant there: 6201 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN
Tel:1-685-8466

*"...There is a lovely little restaurant in midtown called "Cafe
Society".  The owner and chef is Michel Leny and he is the best.  HE will
make sure you have a gf meal that is tasty too.  He will supervise the
whole thing."

*"There is a restaurant in Germantown called Yia's Yia's that will cook
your gf pasta and add an appropriate sauce-just call ahead, they are very
helpful."

*There are several Outback restaurants.

*"...on Beale Street you can go to the Blues City Cafe and order the
sauteed shrimp.  Ask for no seasonings.  It is sauteed in garlic and
butter and in your own individual skillet, served with boiled red
potatoes."

*"...Seesels grocery stores carry Boar's Head brand lunch meats,
mustards, and horseradish -- great for a "roll up" sandwich.  You can buy
lettice and tomatoes anywhere to go with it."

*"I know that by the river, they've built up the area and tried to make
it a better eating area.  There should be lots of fish in the
restaurants."

*"Traditional Southern cooking uses a lot of corn and rice."

*"True southern cornbread has NO wheat in it."

*"Hushpuppies usually do have flour. You do have to inquire, due to the
blending of regional cuisines and the dominance of chain recipes."

*"Soups maybe difficult, but it all depends on the type of restaurant."

*"I do not generally eat fried food, but there are places that use only
cornmeal batter for frying."

*"Southerners do like to eat a lot of vegetables. So, perhaps you will
find good choices there."

*"You will not find as many Indian, Asian and Italian restaurants as on
the West Coast."

*"Memphis is proud of its barbecue, and don't assume the sauces are off
limits - check
on how they cook it."

*"I am from Nashville originally, and I find the regular stores there
have more gf products than the stores in California where I live now."

*"We visited Tennessee and Kentucky 2 years ago, and found the same with
the way they cook down there, everything was breaded.  You might find a
burger place, that will just grill you some meat, but personally, I would
not take a chance. Most meats have been tenderized with something filled
with gluten."

*A posting to the list got me contact names and numbers of the Memphis
Area Celiacs Support Group.  Names and numbers probably change frequently
(the member who contacted me is moving to Texas, and made her message to
me her last priority).  For that reason I am not going to bother with
names at this time.  Just be aware that this resource is available to
travelers stopping in Memphis.

Thank-you to everyone who responded.

Matthew W Schneider
Portland, OR