Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 11:03:12 +0100

Hello all,

There has already been quite  a response to my post yesterday
about the possible confusion between some of the symptoms of
CD and of hypoglycaemia. I'll give it a day or two more then
summarize. Meanwhile, it's clear from one or two of the responses
I've had that I made an assumption which I shouldn't have made,
namely that everybody knows what hypoglycaemia is. At its
simplest, it's low blood sugar. And its effects, depending on the
severity with which it hits you, can vary from the uncomfortable to
the downright unpleasant and even dangerous. Like with CD, there
are many individual differences, but there are a number of common
symptoms which get progressively more unpleasant the longer any
'attack' goes on. They include a sort of uncomfortable feeling of
emptiness in the stomach (quite unlike true hunger), an inner
trembling, sweating, an overall shakiness and a feeling of light-
headedness and faintness, mental confusion, a sudden massive
loss of physical energy, even a slight impairment of vision. All of
these I experienced on a regular basis when I suffered from it. The
antidote is to get something - *not* sugar - into your stomach as
quickly as you can. That's why the hyplglycaemic should not leave
home without something like fruit or nuts in his or her pocket just in
case.

If anybody wants to know more, let me know. But as I say, I'll
summarize in a few days' time.

If there's the

Jeff in London, UK