From:
Penny.Ca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:24:55 -0400

Re:  The Post about Spelt in Toronto Il Fornello Restaurants.

This is totally wrong!  Although not all of our restaurants carry a gluten
free crust, they all do carry a spelt crust, primarily for our customers
with wheat allergies, including Candida.  The gluten-free crust we do carry
is made from rice and amaranth and we have a dedicated following of Celiacs
in Toronto.

As a matter of fact, our commitment to providing service to these customers
is so strong, that I am about to begin buying a product from Vancouver for
our pizza crust and in a "bun" form that will allow us to offer garlic bread
and panini on the menu, specifically for Celiac.  Our gluten free pasta is
also popular and we allow any customer to substitute it in any of our
regular pasta menu items

If the person in question had notified me about the problem he/she had, it
could have been corrected.  The area in which we sometimes have a problem is
in staff knowledge.  With over 200 employees, and the inevitable turnover,
it sometimes happens that a new server is unaware of the product
differences.

If at all possible, let the person who posted it know that, if they would
contact me with their name and address, I will send them a voucher to enjoy
a free gluten-free pizza if they ever return to Toronto.

We are, in reality, the most Celiac friendly "mainstream" restaurant you
will find in Canada, if not all of North America.  We continue to go out of
our way to ensure that our customers with Celiac not only can dine safely,
but also enjoy and Italian meal, including pizza and pasta, that would
normally be "off-limits". Our new crust and the addition of garlic bread and
panini in the near future, will make the experience even more enjoyable.

Ian Sorbie, President
Il Fornello

http://www.celiaccanada.com