From:
David & Crystal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:17:05 -0400

I have written to each person that responded to me about the meals in
nursing homes. I'm posting this to the list in case there are any of you
that are offended by my suggestions that have not written me. I'm sorry
if you have taken offense to my comments. I was merely trying to offer a
different perspective/alternative. I am not judging anyone's decision
and I am aware that many cannot or choose not to have children. Like I
said, there is no need to explain your decision, it is your decision. I
also am aware that I may not be able to keep my mother at home until she
dies, but I do hope to postpone that. And, just because I have children,
doesn't mean they will be willing or able to take on the responsibility
of my dh or I, should the need ever arise.

I agree with everyone that said that educating and reforming the nursing
homes (not to mention schools, the armed forces, etc...) is *very*
important. I have offered my service to work with meals for me (our
rural version of meals on wheels) and the local food pantry in case
anyone needs special diets, so far no one has taken me up on this. It
would be great to "adopt" a nursing home resident, but at this stage in
my life with 2 young children (one of which is homeschooled because of
his celiac) and a farm to take care of, I cannot take on that task at
this time. But in the future...

I applaud everyone's eforts (no matter how small) at trying to make this
disease/life style easier for people. And I hope my apology for
offending doesn't offend anyone <g>. ~Crystal in Maine