From:
Marge Johannemann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:33:04 -0400

Awhile back there was a discussion about Procter & Gamble not being
cooperative about giving out information on their products.

I just want everyone to know that I called 1-800-283-8915 yesterday,
Proctor & Gamble's toll free number for Jiff Peanut Butter. A very
pleasant lady answered my call. I asked her if there are any ingredients
in Jiff Peanut Butter based in the grains, wheat, rye, oats or barley.
She asked me if I wanted the gluten content of the product. I answered,
"Yes". She put me on hold to check her records, came back and told me
that all Jiff Peanut Butter is gluten free, including the low fat and
fat-free.

My experience in calling food companies over the last 6 1/2 years has
taught me to never ask if the product contains gluten. Rather I ask if
there are any ingredients based in wheat, rye, oats or barley. Why?
Because I want to know if the person on the other end of the line knows
what I am talking about.

If a company does not want to give out this type of information, I very
pleasantly tell them;
"Then I won't be using the product. Thank you very much."  We must
remember, it is the company's prerogative to withhold this information.
It is our prerogative not to buy the product!

Marge in Louisville