Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:26:02 -0700

There has been so much interest in my post about the papaya enzymes that I
thought I'd better answer on the list. First, Stokes book, A Guide Through
the Medicine Cabinet, lists Gas-X and Gas-X Extra Strength as gluten free.
That was posted toward the end of 1998. But the ingredients in the
chewables looked a little suspicious to me so I've used the gel caps, which
don't have those suspicious looking ingredients in them. I understand,
however, from some of the posts that Clan Thompson or whatever has them
listed as not GF. So make your own decisions.

As for the papaya enzymes, they are intended to break down protein just
like Adolph's Meat Tenderizer, which would probably do in a pinch (if it's
GF). I know it works well for bee and wasp stings because it breaks down
the protein in the poison quickly. Hell, they even used it (or a pure
variety of it) to take out a couple of disks in my back about 35 years ago
too. Called chemoneucleosis, or chemopapain.

YOu can find these papaya enzymes in almost any health food store. They are
popular with some who take them after meals as a digestive aid. I'm gonna
start carrying them in our cars if "she who must be obeyed" will allow that
:) -vance