Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 08:26:30 -0400
From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>

Thank you all for all the support I received for my message Angry and
Frustrated.  I received over 100 replies and was not able to respond to
so many personally.  I guess there are a lot of us facing the same
frustrations with the medical professionals who are stubborn and not up
to date with their specialties.  It has been over 2 weeks and there has
been no word from my son's doctor about the stomach biopsies that they
took on "white spots" or any information about what the doctor thinks is
the cause of his stomach problems.  By the way, my son's son who is 11
yr. old stayed with us last night.  They dropped him off and he brought
Chips Ahoy and had milk for a snack.  We had to keep the fan going all
the evening due to the gas he was having.  I am also concerned that my
grandson is in puberty with hair under his arms and a changed voice (but
still only 5 feet tall - all males in our family, both sides, are over
6'1".)  Isn't this awfully young?

I am going to try to summarize the results, but it is difficult, because
there are so many different, valid responses.  Here are a few.

*Many just related shared their battle with diagnoses and similar
experiences with their doctors who feel the symptoms don't fit..  I
appreciate the support, especially when I needed to share and discharge
my anger, because anger is a destructive emotion  So many of us are
fighting this same frustration.  Thanks.

*Many sent great internet links to professional sites that they
recommend I print out and send to the doctors in question, hoping that
they will respond to people in their own profession in medical terms.  I
heard from a member of the Central Jersey Celiac Group who informed me
that this group is sending materials to doctors in NJ.  I think that is
great.

*Some felt that I should refer the doctor to the Univ. of Maryland or
Dr. Murray of the Mayo Clinic.

*Some suggested having my son see other doctors.  Unfortunately, my son
does not want to have CD, and would rather take a pill than limit his
diet, so that if a doctor doesn't think he has CD, then it is okay with
him (until the damage is so great he has to reconsider).

*Many felt I should intercede and not remain silent due to the dangers
of untreated CD.

*Many confirmed the celiac and overweight scenario

*Many replies stated that they had never had diarrhea as a symptom

*Some said to accept it, because there is nothing that can be done about
it if my son did not stand up for it to be proactive.

*Some responses recommended alternative diagnoses such as Dr. Fines new
methods.

*Some suggested going to the insurance companies - something that I
intend to do about CD in general when I can get a little spare time.

*Others related personal stories and news clips.  Thanks
There were so many great responses, forgive me if I have not covered
them all, but they are all part of my collective information.  I am
going to print up and share your stories with my son and maybe one day
the information in the back of his mind will come forward and he will be
willing to deal with it.  I believe that one day soon we will see this
thing address by the medical profession.  Maybe I will send these
stories to the head of our hospital's  gastrointestinal department.
Thanks again and God Bless,