Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 20:12:22 -0800

It is sad to hear the unfortunate experiences reported
recently at Burger King.  Especially with young ones
needing to eat gf, that must be frustrating. Sometimes
it's nice to be able to just pick up something fast
you know will be safe.  And kids love the chains and
the toys and all. And their friends go there too.

That's my 2 cents on the subject.

For the most part, I've found the chains, from Burger
King to Cookers  or whatever, to be less able to
accomodate the gf diet.  They have less flexibility ,
and need to serve lots of people quickly.  They (like
those cooks in the kitchen) cannot possibly know all
we do about the importance of the gf diet, and the
pitfalls. Many are doing a better job of giving
information on gf choices from home offices and web
sites, and are to be commended (but certainly could do
better).

The smaller, family run places are often more able to
accomodate the gf diet.  Especially if you call or
stop in at non-peak times and ask about good gf
choices. Obviously, if you want to/can spend more
money (and with small children it may not be worth it)
the higher prices family owned restaurants can do a
great job.  Their chefs and cooks can easily be
educated (if you contact them at the proper off-peak
times..cannot expect to go in on Sat. night at 8pm and
start asking lots of questions and asking them to read
a long card about the diet.  Not that they wouldn't
want to help (most of them), they are too busy then.

Evidence of that was the posting of the caterer who
did the delicious sounding gf meal...but the chef and
poster had obviously done their homework! And since he
did his own ordering, he took the inititive to buy gf
bread at Mr. Ritts for everyone....not something a
large chain could probably do. I've eaten at a place
where they've been willing to buy gf bread and they've
made gf stuffing for me...what a treat to eat that
out!

I know well a family restaurant business, and they try
to accomodate the different types of special requests
and diets there are...you'd be amazed! And most cooks
are working in cramped conditions. Sometimes it can be
very difficult or impossible (and take time!!!)for
them to find out if supplied ingredients are gf.But
they are a business, and we need to be as flexible as
possible, and respectful of their time.

That's enough carrying on, but know this is a hot
item,and one of the most difficult for those on this
diet.  And we all need to make our own choices
regarding what we eat.

Healthy happy holidays to all.  May there be times
ahead when it is easier to eat out on our gf diet at
all types of restaurants!