From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 20:52:37 -0500

Dear List:

A request was made for how to make yogurt cheese.

Using any amount of unflavored (non fat OK) yogurt you wish, spoon it
inside a sieve lined with a paper towel or cheesecloth.  Strain it
overnight (Or until it has the desired thickness) in the fridge over a
bowl large enough to collect the whey.

Flavored with mustard or spices it makes an admirable substitute for
sour cream or whipped cream in sauces, lasagna, etc.   Flavored with
sweetening it makes a whipped cream or cream cheese subsitute, and can
be used for dessert topping, cheesecake, etc.

The whey can be used for baking.

Very economical.

I used to use it constantly; now am off of dairy.  My (adult) son
refused to accept even a glass of water from me, fearing that it, too,
would contain yogurt cheese. :  )

Nancy in nyc