From:
michele wind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 15:38:34 -0600

HELLO everyone and thanks for helping me out. YES i was told to take
benadryl for an allergic reaction to an antibiotic and had to "clean"
out my system for a day before moving on to yet another antibiotic..
<sigh>
i really really appreciate all the help and offers from pharmacists out
there. my latest antibiotic IS gf thank goodness. i did have to call
them myself, but i thought i would post here what i found out about
MYLAN LAB. for the rest of the group if they are interested.
i called 1-800-826-9526, and after 3 transfers, i talked with beverly
and she was very helpful. i am now on macrodantin just in case anyone is
curious and beverly told me that ALL drugs made by MYLAN in THEIR
facility are GF! she gets at least 3 calls a day about gluten also. now
she did WARN me, that some drugs are made by other labs for mylan and
have the mylan name on them and those MAY have some gluten, so to call
and just check to be sure. i was very glad that they answered my
questions and were very helpful. not one rude bone in her body.
so. thanks so much for all the replies. i am glad there is something out
there to take in case of an allergic reaction! looks like several ways
of getting an equal equivalent!

below are snipets from actual replies... :)  (sorry if i did not send
you a personal reply)
michele in colorado

You can use the homeopathic rememdy VETRATRUM ALB 30C, which stops
gluten reactions.  Two pills under the tongue [after each attack of
diarrhea] stops the symbptoms.  It is safe, available at health food
storeds and costs about five dollars a vial.

I bought another over-the-counter medication to use for allergies, but I
am not sure it is gluten free since I don't seem to have a reaction to
Benadryl.  Anyway, it is Tavist-1.

I have taken just about every antibiotic for infections including Cipro
but names slip my mind.  I take Zyrtec now by prescription and it seems
to help.  I also buy 100% cranberry juice (no grape juice,sweeteners or
corn syrup) and sip on it when I have a kidney problem

I have taken Tylenol Severe Allergy capsules.  They seem to work the
same as Benadryl and I think I read on the list that they are
gluten-free.  I have had no reaction.

I had surgery a couple of years and found a generic Benedryl at
Walgreens.

Ask the pharmacist At that time it was called "Waldryl-25".  It was only
$3 for a box.

if the doctor is prescribing it there is a clear liquid form of Benadryl
- I think it's called Benadryl Free that I give my daughter with Celiac
when she needs an anti-histamine.  There are no colorings or suspicious
flavorings.  I called the company about a month ago and they told me
that it was gluten free

Why don't you see if you can find a compounding pharmacy that your
physician can call in Benadryl.  It can be made up without all of the
normal fillers.  I used to have a liquid form mixed only in purified
water.

I now take compounded chlortrimeton as I became sensitive to the
Benadryl.

I had a very severe reaction to benadryl years ago and doctors told me
not to ever take it again, so I've been using vistaril (hydroxyzine
pamoate) ever since.  I don't take it very often--maybe once or twice a
year--but have not had any problems with it.  It can make you very
sleepy and may limit your activities (no driving, etc.), but I've been
told it's considered a fairly benign drug.  Just for the record, there
are very few drugs I can take safely, but vistaril has been okay for me
for the past 20 years or so.  You might want to ask your doctor about
it.  Hope this helps.

Ibuprofen works better for me. I too cannot take benadryl

Have you tried benadryl free and clear from the infant medication
section?

I have taken Benadryl FOR CHILDREN. It does not contain alcohol, so it
doesn't bother me.

Otherwise, I take Tylenol Allergy Sinus caplets, because I have
allergies & sinus. I take Allegra, but need something extra sometimes.
I imagine you are taking Benadryl for the reaction, so just buy the
Children's Benadryl, without alcohol and you should be all set.