From:
Juliann Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:16:38 EDT

Well,
Last night, my husband and I took our four children(3 of which have Celiac)
to an Outback Restaurant.  This is what I did ahead of time.  I copied the gf
menu from the listserv archives, then I emailed Outback and requested one
from them(I received mine in less than 12 hours, I think!).  I went to the
restaurant in the afternoon and spoke with the kitchen manager.  I gave him a
copy of the bottom blurb from Abigail Newman's Fast Food section, which was
written by someone who has worked in a restaurant kitchen.  I told the
kitchen manager I didn't want to offend anyone but that I thought it was very
blunt and to the point.  I found out how late he would be there til and made
sure we got to the restaurant before he left.  When the waitress came to our
table, I asked her if she was ready for a challenge?  She smiled and said
sure.  I knew the kitchen manager's name and told her that I had spoken to
him and that he was expecting us.  It was wonderful.  They gave our kids
pieces of fresh sticks of butter on the side in small serving containers for
their potatoes.  Nobody has had any visible signs of gluten reaction.
Everyone left VERY full.  The staff was great, we were thrilled! It was our
children's first restaurant experience in 9 months!

Thanks to the list for bringing the Outback to our attention!
Juli of NC