Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 07:41:40 -0600
From:

Hello List Mates:

In answer to my questions and fears of facing the Cat Scan you all
helped me to banish any fears beforehand and to better understand what
was before me with this test.

Okay, the results are in and the deed is done!

I survived!

As one of my friends said, "a walk in the park!"

Thank you so very much for responding to my request about the Cat Scan.
I was really worried about the reaction I would have when undergoing
this experience as I am allergic to so many things. The doctor gave me
benedryl and a preliminary dose of the dye and with no reaction we
proceeded. The doctor did suggest Pregnenalone, but because of the
information I gained from you guys--I felt good about turning down this
drug (I have adrenal stress).

The machine was, thankfully, the big donut and I wore my own bandanna
over my eyes.

The only ill effect I had was an enormous amount of gas afterwards.

Here is what you all reported to me:

1. " I am allergic to shell fish and cannot take the dye. They solved
the problem by making me drink 24 oz of water for an abdominal and
pelvic scan."

2. "If you are claustrophobic take a sleep mask put over your eyes when
you lie down on the table and then you just lie there and breathe the
way you are told to. Nothing to it. Relax! "

3. "I refused the injection and the cat scan was fine without it.  The
cat scan itself was nothing. It took less than 5 minutes."

4. "If you take premedication of a cortisone like drug (medrol) it may
prevent allergic reactions. Queasiness is usually not a result of the CT
scan itself.  Nausea may come from the contrast media eg. barium if you
are asked to take that or the iodine compound (injection) that is
frequently used as contrast for certain CT scans."

5.   "Cat scans are a "piece of cake" BUT DO NOT USE THE REDI-CAT
PREPARATION IF YOU CAN AVOID IT - IT CONTAINS WHEAT! Let the staff know
about your allergies."

6.   " hi star, I get scans often and have never had any reactions
except maybe a little gas ...scans have been the easiest of this mess...
good luck and don't worry..."

7.   " . . . ask your doctor about the contrast dye they may be using.
If you may be allergic to is (as I am), they will premedicate you with
Benadryl or steroids."

8.  "My son has had bunches of cat scans, and none involved any
queasiness or medication - they just slide you in a big machine that
makes loud noises, and you have to hold really still. Why would you be
queasy - will they be using some dye or something in your system? Good
Luck."

9.  "I had an intense allergic reaction to the dye. I insisted on
finding out what that was before leaving because I never wanted to have
that again. It was tri-iodo benzene. I find that interesting since DH
makes one sensitive to iodine. "

10. "Don't know exactly the type of exam you are undergoing. I am
extremely claustrophobic and can't even go near one of those
contraptions without 10 to 20 mgs. of valium. Even the so-called 'open
sided' ones are unbearable for me."

11. " I would tell the doctor or nurse your concerns and get their
advice. Was it just for the cat scan or all the time. With a celiac diet
any mistake could make you queasy. Hope it helps to find out the
problem"

Thanks again, I really, really appreciated all of your help!

Star