From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 16:53:19 -0400
Evolution has clearly helped some humans adapt to specific environments
that others do not have adaptations for.  Evolution gave some of us white
skin to deal with conditions in Europe, and gave others of us dark skin to
deal with conditions in on the African savannah.  It gave some of us kinky
hair to help act as a cooling device in hot environments and some of us
long straight hair to help keep us warmer in cooler environments.  It gave
us people who can roll their tongues and people who can't.  Yet it is
impossible to believe that evolution would have given some of us a greater
tolerance for, or need for, certain foods that others cannot tolerate?

The very existance of the adult lactase secretion polymorphism (which about
25-30% of all humans have) demonstrates that evolution has helped some
humans adapt to a different dietary environment than others.  I can't help
but think that people from gene pools fairly isolated for thousands of
years, such as the Japanese, may well have dietary evolutionary adaptations
that a white boy like me doesn't have, and may also have taken away from
them adaptations they no longer need.

We had at least one person on this list who tried the Neander Thin way and
got sick, because of Neander Thin's failure to address the fact that some
people cannot tolerate large amounts of fruit.  Other people clearly are
very happy and healthy eating a lot of fruit.  Does the thrify genotype
have something to do with this?  I'll bet it does.

Certainly evolution cannot be the whole story. It very much appears that
the Japanese suffer from stunted growth due to their diets full of rice and
such.  But it strikes me as foolhardy to suggest that a people who have
been largely vegetarian for 4,000 years or more would all universally be
healthier on a massive meat intake diet.  Evolution DOES occur, and if the
selective pressure is HIGH (let's say a very extreme dietary change that
kills people quick who don't adapt), you can see changes in a fairly short
period of time.

I have blue eyes and brownish-white skin.  My buddy Jeff has brown eyes and
very dark brown skin.  It's impossible that there may be small but
significant differences in the various digestive enzymes and such secreted
in our guts?