From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 09:55:42 MDT
So I'm working in a new building and who do I bump into but the first doctor
to write me a prescription for happy pills, aka anti-depressants. (While a
fine person, I felt more comfortable with a woman and switched to a female
doctor after only 2 visits.)

At any rate, we spoke briefly this morning and I asked him if he was
familiar with Paleolithic nutrition.  Of course, he wasn't.  But he DID say
there are two types of food: those to which we respond very quickly and
those to which we respond very slowly and quick-response foods aren't good
for mental health and too many of us are eating such foods these days.  How
true!

I told him I may print out some info for him to take a look at.  Which
brings me to the point.  Are there any studies out there on high-carb foods,
insulin resistance and depression?  I've seen references to this phenomenon,
but I can't remember where and at the time wasn't tucking such info away for
later use.  Any such information would be great and will wind up on his desk
pronto.

Thanks!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO

P.S.  By the way, between two periods I'd guesstimate my total time on
anti-depressants to be 8-12 months.  I've long since been off medication and
feel just fine.  Contributing factors?  Having to a) get up at 4 am and b)
endure incredible stress in the workplace immediately after c) enduring the
stress of brain surgery and taking d) an anti-seizure med (Tegretol) which
is also an anti-depressant, something I didn't learn until after e) going
off the drug cold-turkey during recovery, a big mistake no one bothered to
warn me about.

But my gut feeling (pun intended) is that a lifetime of carb-filled,
overprocessed food combined with insulin resistance is perhpas the biggest
factor of all.

I'm shocked and offended at the number of people who, after learning I once
took anti-depressants, think I'll need to take them for the rest of my life
and since I'm not taking them now I may just blow up at any moment.  What
the hell do they know?