From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 07:54:56 CDT
> > Rule #1: Lift heavier weights.
> >
> >     "I see people in the gym doing the same thing
> > day in and day out," says Jose Antonio, Ph.D.,  >
>C.S.C.S., an exercise physiologist at the University >
>of Nebraska-Kearney, "Doing any one thing for a
> > prolonged period is a waste of time." The problem is
> > that once you've done the same exercises with the >
>same weights for a period of time -- a month or two, >
>say -- your body has made all the changes it's going >
>to make in response to those exercises. In other
> > words, it's not going to add muscle.

Oh, I see.  I guess doing nothing but dips, full squats, curl-grip
pulldowns, and standing dumbbell shoulder presses means my body will 'adapt'
and I should throw in a bunch of isolation movements to 'confuse' my muscles
and 'shock' them into new growth.  It's my guess that Jose Antonio is about
6'0 120lbs at 20% bodyfat.

> >     Phase One: Be an organization man (or woman).
> > Organize your workouts into three periods, each
> > lasting a month to six weeks: First, go for rapid >
>muscle growth. Do strength training workouts with >
>progressively heavier weights. That means, on most >
>exercises, do 3 sets of 6 to 10 repetitions, using >
>enough weight so that your muscles are fatigued on >
>the last rep.

Here we go with magic rep ranges again.  I guess all those high rep squats
supersetted with high rep romanian deadlifts aren't for 'strength' being
that rep range is so high.

> >     Phase Two: Next, do a strength cycle, and do
> > power-lifting-type workouts with much heavier >
>weights. (As with all lifting programs, be careful >
>not to overdo it, and always have a spotter when
> > using maximal free weights.)
> > Thoroughly warm up with at least 15 minutes of light
> > cardio exercise and stretching, then do 4 to 5 sets
> > of 3 to 5 repetitions of exercises like squats,
> > deadlifts, and bench presses.

First off, anyone who thinks bench presses are even a remotely benificial
movement obviously knows nothing of human physiology (see Arthur Jones).
Now, maybe small guys like Jose Antonio can use 3-5 reps on squats and
deadlift and theire frames can handle it.  Why?  B/c they aren't using very
much weight to begin with.  But once you start squating your bodyweight for
reps, you need to use high reps and lighter weight for movements such as
squats.  Going heavy on squats is why 90% of powerlifters have bad backs.

>>     Phase Three: Do a few weeks of "cutting up," in
> > which you lift lighter weights -- go for 3 sets of
>12 > to 15 repetitions, and employ supersets (going
>from > one exercise to another without taking a rest
>in > between) and other high-intensity tactics. Add
>more > cardio exercise, and watch your diet more
>carefully. > This doesn't add new muscle or strength,
>but it sure > lets you see what you've spent the
>previous months > building.

Losing bodyfat has nothing to do with rep ranges.  To cut up, all you have
to do is reduce carbs and do a little extra cardio.

xx Justin xx