C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Karen K. Perlow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:43:13 EDT
I haven't really introduced myself yet. After reading this , I knew the time
was right.I am 42 years old & have CP as a result of convulsions at birth. (
I don't know what type because my parents never bothered to tell me.) They
raised me to believe you play the hand you're dealt.They would never have
thought to sue the Dr.I am able to walk & was fully included all through
Catholic school & college.Don't let the Catholic part deceive you..I was the
victim of as much teasing as any PWD. I learned though that you have to
ignore most of the stares, insensitive questions & teasing or you'll never
get anything done!
I was blessed also with the birth of 3 children.( all vaginal by the
way..sisters had C sections or had to adopt..go figure..but that's another
story.) Unfortunately , I still have to put up with teasing, but this time
it's my kids that are the victims. My middle daughter has Asperger's Syndrome
& my son is classic autistic. There will always be someone around who tries
to feel better about themselves by ridiculing anyone who's "different".I do
feel that the "ramming the wheelchair into walls" constitutes assault. At my
children's school there is a county police officer on campus.Perhaps
something like that would have neutralized the problem before it got to the
lawsuit stage.
I also agree with a point that was made concerning the powers we have
stripped from our teachers in the area of discipline.How then can we in good
conscience hold them accountable for the actions of our children without the
tools to deal with them ?? We have to a great degree abdicated our
responsibility as parents in this country. It's time we woke up ..WE have to
be the ones to instill values & attitudes in OUR kids.

The people who made most of the money in this particular case were probably
the lawyers anyway!

Karen