VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 16:33:45 -0700
I have sent a more detailed reply to Jamie Seiger about the curse
of PDF and his other difficulties.

For the sake of the list, I won't put it here.

I am planning to put a diatribe about this problem on our home
web site with info about the solutions that do exist and there
gross inadequacies.  I'll put the url for this up here when it's
done.

PDF files are one of the major barriers to access to technical
documentation for blind folks.  They know, and it appears they
don't care.
In fact, nobody likes to read using acrobat, it is only that it's
easy for publishers.
So prove me wrong, I know all the tricks and they are not by any
means good enough.
for example I wanted to read and use a datasheet of a
microcontroller from Microchip on one of there popular PIC series
of chips.
The 120 page datasheet in PDF was converted to text using the
acrobat plug-in.  It required twenty four hours of correction and
re-formatting by my wife, who is technically knowledgable and a
very good proof reader.

so who thinks that's any good.

Tom Fowle