From:
George Ockel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:28:41 -0500
> This is peculiar.  The hub light for system 2 acts as it should.  For the
most part it is off but flashes periodically and when obvious attempts to
access the network are made.  The hub light for the System 1 line, however,
is always lit.  Ocassionally it will blink off for millisecond periods but
the light remains stuck on.

The Link/Activity lights (5 of them, one for each port), light up when there
is a workstation or another hub connected to a hub, and they blink if there
is any activity from that workstation or the hub. It looks like System 1 is
acting correctly. I would check the cable going to system 2. Can you swap
the cables to see if the problem follows the cables.

I believe the Linksys has an extra connector which is shared with one of the
ports. It is used for uplinking to another hub and is a crossover
connection. If you plug a standard cable into this port it will not work and
the light for that port will not light. Also make sure you are not using
both of these connectors thinking they are individual ports.

Try different ports on the hub. Use the center ports, like 3 and 4. You
should get a constant green light when the workstations are on. Momentary
flashes indicate data transmissions.

You could also try a crossover cable if distance permits. a crossover cable
allows two pc's to be connected directly.

Good Luck

George

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html