Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:35:32 -0600
Harvey Rose wrote:
> Thanks for the help. I thought the sound card was a soundblaster but since
> realize that it isn't. I'm working to see if I can get working from the
> REVEAL site. Will post how I got it working if I do.
> If I could find a diagram it would sure make it easier for settings.

Harvey, the bit I posted about Reveal was only a suggestion on resources
to check for more info about that type of cd-rom to sound card set up.
Your parts may or may not be Reveal, but the info there might help.
Some of the links there have diagrams with jumpers noted.
If you can find an FCC ID number on the card, you might find the exact
identification of the card at one of the sites frequently posted here,
(sorry, I'm not organized enough to find one now).

Another place to search for info is the PCBUILD Archives. There is
some interesting info, subject; Old CD ROM on 9-3-2000.

For the List, Harvey's original post on the subject was about trying to
get the cdrom recognized through dos in order to get win95 installed.
I'll quote;

> I'm trying to get a CDROM working that is connected to a soundblaster 16.
> When I go to install the CDROM drive through DOS  I get CDROM not
> recognized error. I know that the CDROM is a 2X and the soundcard is
> priority type. I need the CDROM working to load Window95. Can anyone
> suggest to were I can get the settings for the interrupts of the sound
> card?  I've tried searching on the internet on Creative LABs site and can't
> find any information on ISA, just PCI - plug and play.

Getting ancient hardware, (6 years old!), to work in modern systems
can be very time consuming and research intensive.
Possibly, another list member has more useful info.

And to make a long post even longer, I'll copy what I use with my Reveal
SC400 rev2;

Under Device Manager/sound,video and game controllers; Resources tab;
Resource type            setting
input/output range       0220 to 022F
input/output range       0530 to 0537
input/output range       0388 to 038B
interrupt request        05
interrupt request        10
direct memory access     03
direct memory access     10

These may not be optimal settings, but it's what W95 and I finally agreed
on to get both sound and cdrom working.

My autoexec.bat;
REM C:\CDPLAY\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4
SET GALAXY=A220 I7 D1 K7 P330 T6
SET SOUND=C:\MMP16P
@ECHO OFF

That first line, REM'ed out, (voided by me) tells dos where to find files
for cdrom and how to load them.
The SET lines are all for the sound card, and still needed in W95, until
I learn better.

My Config.sys;
Files=100
DEVICE = C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE = C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS = HIGH,UMB
;DEVICE=C:\MMP16P\DRIVERS\CDMKE.SYS /D:MSCD000 /P:630

That last line, which has been ;'ed out, (voided be me) tells dos
where to look for cdrom files and how to load them.

It looks like you need to build a boot disk with cdrom drivers and
autoexec.bat and config.sys and load them onto the hard drive and then
??? something.
Sorry, I used floppies to load W95.

Larry Hooper

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: