From:
Gareth Cranny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 15:59:01 -0500
An Asus board should come with some form of temperature monitoring software.
See if you can locate the original CD that came with the board.  Mine (for a
DFI board) tells me cpu fan speed, chassis fan speed, cpu temp, etc.

Make sure you have at least two fans in your case, one in, one out.  Also,
see if you can find something like a GoldenOrb to cool that chip down.
50Mhz isnt much, but it will definatly run the chip a bit hotter.

Cheers.

> > a/    Is it likely that my chip has been damaged?  Does it have a
> > thermal cutout or has it just temporariliy failed?
>
>      That would depend on what chip you have. Most modern CPUs have some
> form of thermal shutdown. However, if your CPU was too hot to touch it is
> very likely that some other components on your board were very hot. Not
all
> of them have thermal shutdown and it is possible that you damaged
something.
> I doubt it, but the possibility is certainly there.
>
> > b/    Is a fairly light layer of dust on the heatsink likely to be the
> > only cause of this overheating? (seems unlikely to me)
>
>         It could be. Dust is an amazingly good thermal insulator, that and
a lack
> of proper contact between the CPU and the sink could easily have
contributed
> to it getting that hot.
>
> > c/    If the CPU fan is running underspeed  How do I know ?(other than
> > an overheating chip)
>
>         You don't, but it wouldn't without some very physical signs. If
the fan
> very dirty? Does it spin freely? If it doesn't spin freely then it is
> probably toast, I recommend replacing. You may try cleaning it but CPU
fans
> are not designed to be taken apart. You may try lubricating it but again
CPU