From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:19:20 -0600
From: "Rick Lindstrom" :Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 4:11 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Winsvrc.exe?

> I have a user with the following problem- when he tries to open any
> application (executable), he receives a message saying that Windows needs
> "winsvrc.exe" to open files of type "Application", and where is it please.
> The effect is that executables cannot be opened, and not much can be done
> on the box.
>
> Investigation has revealed that files of type "Application" are now
> associated with WINSVRC rather than just being [executable] as they are on
> machines which run normally. Winsvrc.exe is nonexistent on this machine
and
> other Win9x machines.
>
> I suspect either a virus or a nasty practical joke (one and the same
perhaps?).

> Anyone know anything about "Winsvrc.exe"?
>
> Thanks-
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Rick Lindstrom

Rick,

Winsrvc.exe is associated with the W32.Semisoft.59904 virus and
TROJ_NAVIDAD.A
virus and a few other trojan virus's that I could find.  If it is the
TROJ_NAVIDAD.A virus there will be a blue eye icon in the task bar.  For
information on the removal of the TROJ_NAVIDAD.A virus check here:
http://www.antivirus.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TRO
J_NAVIDAD.A

For information on the removal of the w32.Semisoft.59904 virus check this
site out:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.semisoft.59904.html

Hope this helps,

Mary Wolden