Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:02:55 -0600
At 08:18 PM 11/16/00 -0600, you wrote:
>I am the tech. coordinator for a small school district.  We recieved 4ea,
TI Extensia 550 notebook computers with 524 MB HDs and 8 MB RAM from the
state.  They appear to work OK, but the problem is the system and CMOSs are
password protected.
>I know on a desktop system I could remove the battery or use jumpers to
remove the unwanted passwords.  But, what can I do on these notebooks?  The
will make excellant machines for students to take home and do articles etc.
Oh, we didn't receive any manuals or documentation on the 550s.
>Thanks for your help!! I and my students thank you!

Up until a couple of weeks ago when Acer (who took over the TI notebooks)
laid of 61 people in their support center, I use to do tech support on
these units.

Unfortunately, you are up the proverbaable creek. These units would have to
go in for service and since they are out of warranty, the cost to correct
this would be $100. You can call Acer and see if they will sell you a new
BIOS and then you can replace it. However, on these units, I believe they
are soldered on.

David Ray

There are no limits to what a man can
accomplish when he does not care who it is
that gets the credit.