From:
Gareth Cranny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:00:52 -0500
IDE RAID O is faster than one IDE Drive because each drive only has to write
half the amount of data.  Raid is a good alternative to SCSI for someone
like me who wants better than plain old IDE performance, but doesn not want
to shell out for a 15,000rpm drive and controller.  Remember, RAID sdtands
for Rendundant Array of Inexepensive Disks :)

Cheers,

> I've never setup a IDE RAID before, I cannot tell the performance, but
from
> all the reviews I've read, there is no real performance lead (because the
> IDE limit, computer still cannot access more than one IDE device at a
time).
> The only advantage you can take is that you can have upto 4 IDE drives act
> like one big drive.  If you really want to speed, SCSI is the only way to
> go.
>
> RAID can be either software or hardware, eg NT and win2k can set software
> RAID 0,1 or 5. If you use a RAID card, it will be hardware RAID controlled
> by the card.

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions