From:
Dan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 21:36:42 -0500
Mark,

I would personally go with a writable cd.  They are very cheap (around
$2.00).  I just lost a whole zip disk the other day with about 2 months of
programming code.  Luckily, I had just dumped the disk to my home machine.
The disk just went, no warning - nothing.

For serious data storage, a cdr is much more reliable.  I also use an
external scsi drive for a monthly backup of my system.  I use a zip for
shuttling data between home and work, just due to their convenience, but
won't use them for backup - I don't trust floppies much either.

Good Luck,
Dan

> Questions
> Are Iomega drives ..particularly the 250MB drive as reliable as they tell
> me ? In other words are they as reliable as any other hard drive
> in regards
> to bad sectors ?
>
> Do they come partitioned and formatted as a logical drive and are
> they seen
> by the BIOS as a regular logical drive in DOS and windows even though no
> drivers are loaded ?
>
> Is there any simple way to error check them and if so how?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org