Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:55:05 +1000
Zip Cons: Zip may have Click-of-death problem (for a bad luck), the media
is expensive and the capacity is small.
Zip Pros: zip disk can be re-write many times, zip disk can used as boot
disk on most new system.

CD-R/CD-RW cons: CDR disk can be only write once, CDRW disk can be write
multiple times, but not all CD drives can read CDRW disks, CDRW disk is
expensive, the writer itself may have a shorter life than Zip drive. CD
writer may have heat problem.
CD-R pros: CDR disk is cheap, every PC today has a CD drive, so share
data is easy, CD has big capacity (from 640M to 800M per disk), CD can be
bootable.

I'd recommend a CD writer (CD-R, not CD-RW) for back up, because it's
cheap to use and you can bring data CD anywhere.

Jun Qian

David Jonathan Justman wrote:

> I'm picking out a new system.  When I told the salesman that I wanted
> a Zip drive for backups, he recommended a CD writer instead.  What
> does everyone here think?  What are the pros and cons of each?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org