C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:09:00 -0600
I think the greatest diservice the Michigan law does is group all
developmental disabilities together without looking at each case
individually.
The case of mentally retarded/challenged adults having children is a tough
one. It brings up complications that aren't seen in the phyically chalenged
adult.  Child rearing requires stamina (especially mentally), ability to
make quick judgement calls, ability to make decisions based upon prior
knowledge, abiltiy to change the environment as the child's needs change,
etc.  And while it's easy to say that many non-challenged adults have
trouble raising children is simplifying matters.  I say this because, I've
worked with many adults with low/ borderline IQ's as they've raised
children.  And maybe because of the children and agencies I've worked with,
I haven't seen good results.  Furthermore, with women who are mentally
changellened are very easy targets to be exploited by men (abused, used,
neglected, been there seen it).
Now, before you all think I am an advocate of forced sterilization, I'm not.
I frankly find that practice barbaric.  I don't know what to do but, I can
say that easy answers on either side the fence aren't there.

Beth the OT