BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chapel of the unPowered nailers.
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 00:04:12 -0500
Met History <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> So, I should have the Flexible Flyer rails ground down smooth?

my mom was from northern minnesota...
told us stories of skating to school as a child.....
days when it snowed here in ohio, she'd call off work,
wake us up early, all excited, happy   ;)
we'd pack up and head out for a day of skating, sledding, tubing...
she'd take the whole neighborhood to the local golf course,
which had a large wide hill and a nice sized pond....
build a big fire, make hot chocolate, and tend to the sled runners....

she sanded and waxed them for us, til they were mirror-bright....
she used an old-fashioned heavy rubber sanding block  --
there was a slight cupping on the bottoms of the runners, and
the edges were sharp enough to fillet you.....
and we always kicked major booty in the downhill competitions   ;)

with the advent of plastic saucers, we turned to armor-all...
talk about some serious flying!!
a couple years ago, we were almost able to acheive space flight on our
favorite hill, following a light fluffy snow that was coated with a very
thin film of frozen rain....
there was this hump about 2/3rds of the way down, and if you got
lucky, since you can't really STEER a saucer, you'd hit the thing
just right and ramp off of it....  hanging on to the saucer was essential,
otherwise you'd combust when re-entering earth's atmosphere   ;)
(otherwise known as when your hiney hit the hill  ;)   )

I have friends who swear by silicon spray.... on saucers, toboggans,
skates, sleds, you name it
I've seen armor-all used very successfully on big pieces of linoleum   ;)
one of those room size remnants will carry as many as 10 people downhill, in
my experience....

deb   "a person who actually enjoys shovelling snow, if it means I get to go sledding"