Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 09:02:41 +0800
7BIT
From:
Molly NíDána <[log in to unmask]>
Get serious, people!  The most reliable way to reduce birth rates is
to allow women economic self-determination and allow them actual
control over their own fertility. Both must be present for the
effect to be noticeable. This is the only method that has ever
produced a stable population.  It certainly does not require any
particular economic system, but it does require, I suppose you could
say, a certain social structure relative to the status of women.
This thread is getting as silly as the "fertility goddess" thread.

> In my experience telling people to have children is about like telling them
> to voluntarily be hungry.  Most won't do it and never will.  Viewing this
> as "selfish" is as wrongheaded as it would be for you to consider me
> "selfish" not to want to be hungry, or unhappy.
>
> If the goal is to get people to stop having children, then historically
> only two things have been proven to accomplish this well enough to make a
> difference:
>
> 1) A program of enforced sterilizations and mandatory abortions and harsh
> condemnation and even imprisonment of people who have more than the
> government-mandated number of children, or,
> 2) Adopt an industrialized, free-market oriented western civilization such
> as we have in America today.

Sla/n go fo/ill

Molly Ni/Da/na
San Francisco, CA