Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 15:04:43 -0400
Justin Hasselman asked:
>>Has anyone tried the herbal antibiotics like echinacea and goldenseal?  Are
they as effective as prescription antiobiotics?  Since antiobiotics are
often prescribed for acne, would adding goldenseal/echinacea to a supplement
regimen decrease acne?  What's the difference between echinacea and
goldenseal?

I've used echinacea and goldenseal as well as other western herbs and many
Chinese herbs for years.  I've not used antiobiotics in 15 or 16 years
(neither has my husband).  I've taken only one prescription med in that time
and that was more than 10 years ago.  There are many people who have used
non-conventional approaches to health care and have adpoted habits that have
allowed them to avoid becoming sucked into the western disease care system.

Did you know that the U.S. ranks #1 in the world for health care
expenditures yet we did not make the top ten for longest life expectancy!!
Tis true.  Who won out--the people in Japan, followed by those in Greece,
Spain, Israel, Sweden, Holland, and Iceland.  Interestingly none of the
countries listed above where people lived the longest were in the top ten of
money spent on medical care.  (Info courtesy of Dr. Richard Schulze who has
a fascinating newsletter.

Echinacea and goldenseal are indicated when there is an infection or cold
with *heat* symptoms--some of which may include a dry, stratchy throat,
feeling warm, feverish, red face, red tongue; if mucous is present, it would
be thick and yellow.  These two herbs are cooling; they help to clear heat.
They are not suitable for "colds" with cold symptoms such as clear, thin,
runny mucous, chills, a pale tongue, feelings of coldness.  If one has a
cold with cold symptoms there are other herbs which are better suited to
helping warm the body (like ginger or red pepper).

My brother gets colds that turn into sinus infections about once a year.  He
always has to use prescription antiobiotics to treat it.  Would he get just
as good results from echinacea/goldenseal?

If it turns into a sinus infection, my guess it that he has excess heat
(heat symptoms), so those could help, but you don't want to take
echinacea/goldenseal for more than 6 weeks a time..... the product label
will tell you how long you can take it before you should take a week
off...before resuming.  I've used these herbs to nip a cold/infection in the
bud.  However a healthy diet and lifestyle is the best defense.  After
switching from a vegan/macrobiotic wholefoods diet to a meat, vegetable,
fruit (occasional whole grain), diet my annual # of colds went from 2-3 down
to 1.  I've not gotten a single cold or infection in 1 1/2 years now.

I suggest he check with a certified herbalist or practioner of Chinese
Medicine in his area.  Herbs can be very effective if properly chosen for
your particular condition.  Western meds aren't the only effective option;
they are just the most widely pushed, publicized, funded, and the political
climate favors their use.  Western drugs are not without their side-effects,
which in my extensive study, are far more serious than those one might get
from choosing the wrong herb.

As for good sites and books on chinese herbs, I'd suggest the book THE WAY
OF HERBS BY MICHAEL TIERRA.  As for web sites... I can't help you there, but
depending upon the state in which you live herbalists and practitioners of
Chinese Medicine may or may not be allowed to legally practice.  Sometimes
you can find a very knowledgeable person at a health food store.  If your
city boasts an herbal apothecary or herb shop which offers classes to
educate you in the use of herbs, go for it!

Rachel Matesz (married to a Certified Herbalist, Certified Nutritionist,
etc...)