NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:43:29 -0700
You probably are right Steve. I am very surprised by the number of products
that list "whey". By extension, I assumed that "skim milk powders" or
similar probably could be whey with a different label. Perhaps I had no
logical basis to make such a jump. Anyway, I don't knowingly eat things
with skim milk powder.

Yesterday I had an interesting experience in a restaurant of perhaps the
most famous hotel in Canada - the Chateau Lake Louise in Banff National
Park. I asked the waitress to help me select foods with no dairy. Well, she
assured me that the battered Onion Rings had no dairy but she would check.
A few minutes later they arrived and I started eating my hors d'oeuvre.
About 3 minutes later she hustles over to my table and suggests that maybe
I should stop eating the onion rings. The chef had checked again and the
batter contained 1/8 cream or milk! In a moment of false bravado, I decided
to press ahead. It's now 30 hours later with no signs of any real problems.
Sometimes we do what we got to do (or shouldn't do) <g>.

Don M