BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"\"The mouth is the most dangerous part of the person.\" (NYC cab driver)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Lawrence Kestenbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 00:51:34 -0400
Another experiment with online discussion, specifically for those who are
in or interested in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area, in Michigan.

I'm sure we've all had the experienced that sinking feeling: to come
around a familiar corner and see, instead of a fondly regarded historic
building, an unexpected, ugly hole in its place.

I consider myself pretty well informed about the local scene, but that
feeling happens to me all too often in my own city.  Worse yet, I often
find that other local preservationeers knew about it already: "Oh, yeah,
the Planning Commission approved that project back in April -- hadn't you
heard?"

What's missing, at least in this neck of the woods, is a news source that
focuses on exactly that kind of news: what's proposed, what's threatened,
who's advocating, what's saved, who's raising money for restoration,
who're the new folks on the historic district commission, mundane but
vital stuff like that.

In the absence of a local preservation newspaper with a team of
investigative reporters, I thought, perhaps we who are concerned could
share our news and insights through an email list.

So I started one: Washtenaw Landmarks, on Yahoogroups.  The description
reads:

   This group is for news and current information about
   historic landmarks and historic preservation in Washtenaw
   County, Michigan. Bulletins about threats to historic
   buildings, local and state government actions affecting
   preservation, preservation-related fundraising efforts,
   news about local preservation commissions or ordinances,
   are all welcome here.

If you have an interest in this stuff, please come join.
The group's main page is: