From:
Kevin & Pat Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 18:43:26 -0400

Hi to all,
Thank you so much for all the helpful replies.  I asked the following
and what follows this are your replies....

<Could someone please give me the name of the "best" MD to see in the
<Boston MA area regarding diagnosing possible CD?  Could you please give
<me the name, telephone #, and location?
*************************

******************************
Dr. Ciaran Kelly's phone number is 617-667-1272 He's one of the best in
Boston.  He's also on the board of the local CSA/USA group, so very involved
with the latest in celiac care.
We strongly recommend Dr. Ciaran Kelly who is at Beth Isreal. He is a
gastroenterologist.
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 3 weeks ago by Dr Kenneth
Falchuk affiliated with Beth Israel Hospital in Boston.  He was finally
referred to me by my primary- care physician after three months of agony
and undiagnosed stuff on Cape Cod, where I live.

I would unconditionally recommend him - for his compassion and
intelligence and erudition.
I  know of six patients who have been diagnosed by a PGI
Dr Alan Leichtner at Boston Children's Hospital Ph 617-735-7823

two patients have been diagnosed by  a Gi
Dr Aubrey J Katz 40 Second Ave  Waltham, PH 617-466-8988

I also have 10 other doctors that have diagnosed patients in the Boston
area but
no repeats
Dr. Alessio Fasano is at the University of Maryland in Baltimore.  He
is the head of the HUGE Celiac study to find the prevalence of this
disease.  There are possibly 1 in every 100-150 people in the U.S.  that
have Celiac.  He is fantastic, great bedside manner, plus EXTREMELY
knowledgeable about the disease.  He is the one who headed up the 9th
Annual International Celiac Conference that was just held in Baltimore.
His web site is www.celiaccenter.org.
Go to this location
http://www.celiac.com/doctors.html
It lists several doctors in MA area.
***************************************
It sounds like an allergy rather than gluten intolerance.

When you eat a food that is an 'avoid' for your blood type, food lectins
can be exposed to your immune system in a way that is similar to your
having a blood transfusion reaction or tissue rejection problems.  This
places an extra burden on your immune system.  For example, type A and
type O blood groups both cross react with gluten and casein (dairy
protein).  Also, there are immunological benefits when you stay away
from 'avoid' foods that express lectins.  To briefly explain lectins:
Lectins are surface coding that are like conflicting blood groups.  If,
for example, your blood type is A, the hospital won't give you a
transfusion of type B blood because it can kill you.  Foods from
different animals and plants also have lectins (surface coding) that
look like blood group lectins.

There is a web site that lists the "avoid" foods for each blood type.
If you want the address to review the list, I'll be happy to send it to
you.  If you want to read more about the above, it is discussed in-depth
in Eat Right 4 Your Type, by Dr.  Peter D'Adamo.  It is excellent
reading.  You can borrow it from your local library or order it through
inter-library loan.  I believe it is also available in paperback but I'm
not altogether sure.
You may also like to know the on line address of Dr Fine. He has a
laboratory that can accept blood and stool samples through the post.
Address is: www.finerhealth.com
Don't forget an allergist can skin test for wheat allergy.  Some on this
list are simply wheat allergic not Celiac.
I live in Hopedale, MA west of Boston.  My son has been seeing
Dr. Aubrey Katz
pediatric gastroenterology
40 second street
Waltham,MA
(781) 466-8977

He is an excellent Dr. and very responsive.  I am not sure if he takes
adult patients but others in his practice may.  Give the office a call
and check it out because this
practice specializes in Celiacs.

Also, friends of mine sees Dr. Allan Liechtner at Children's Hospital in
Boston and LOVES him.  Again I am not sure if he treats only children
but it is worth the follow-up.
Do a search on the web of celiac sprue.  I'm sure it will be most
informative.  Also check with local endocrinologist about celiac sprue
and local support group.
I will give you my Dr's name and number.

George Barrett
100 Highland street
suite G2
Milton, Mass.
( 617 ) 696-0082
I went to a Crohn's meeting with a friend, and rectal fissures are one
of the complications of Crohn's so your father in law may wish to have
that investigated- that disease is much tougher than celiac, so I hope
for his sake it's not what it is.

>my father-in-law and he
>too is in the Boston MA area.  He is not ready to check out this route,
>but I want to have the best Dr.'s name when and if he considers checking
>things out.  He is recovering right now from urinary surgery and now has
>a rectal fissure that may need to be stitched, so it will be some time
>before I can approach him.

**********************************
I can't recommend a doctor - though the site, www.celiac.com has a list
of doctors recommended.
I am very happy to recommend the doctor who diagnosed my CD (after years
of misdiagnoses, confusion, and puzzlement from several other doctors).
She is:

Catherine Petruff Cheney, MD
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
330 Brookline Avenue
Boston, MA  02215
617-667-1846

In addition to a specialty in Gastroenterology, she also has a specialty
in Hepatology (Liver).  I call her "the doctor who saved my life."  She
is superb.
Two Boston doctors who are gastroenterolists who are knowledgeable about
Celiac Disease are

Z. Myron Falchuck, M.D.
GI Associates Suite 8E
110 Francis Street
Boston, MA 02215
(617) 632-8623

Ciaran Kelly, M.D.
Dana 601
BI Deaconess Medical Center
330 Brookline Ave
Boston, MA 02215
(617) 667-1272
What I can tell you is to NOT go to the Lahey Clinic. The celiac
"expert" there is about 20 years out of date.

There is good buzz about the people at Beth Israel, but I have no
personal experience with them.