From:
Sue Newell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:17:17 -0500

From a previous post

> The other thing I query in the same email is the inclusion, in the same
> breath as it were, of oats along with spelt, wheat etc.

Perhaps oats were included on the list of gluten containing grains because
commercial oats are apparently always contaminated with wheat.

At Canadian Celiac Association conference last May, Dr. Deker Butzner
reported on his study of oat consumption by kids. He used Quaker Oats who
gave him a figure of a maximum gluten contamination value of 58 milligrams
of gluten per 100 grams of oats.

His study showed that celiac kids who ate this oatmeal for breakfast every
day did not show effects, as measured by blood tests.  The kids in his study
did not eat oat flour or any other oat product. He has not tested adults.

Sue Newell
Waterloo, Ontario