Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 22:32:33 EDT

I received so many requests to forward the info about the IgA and IgG tests
that I decided to just forward my responses to the entire group.  I hope that
isn't a problem. I've chosen a sample of responses.

IgA and IgG are immunoglobulin proteins - the proteins in the body
responsible for the immune response.  There are 5 antibody classes IgG,
IgA, IgM, IgD and IgE.  The Ig simply stands for immunoglobulin.  IgG is
the most predominant form of immunoglobulin and is sometimes called
gamma globulin.When you
are exposed to a foreign substance, your body does not recognize it and
makes protective proteins or antibodies against the substance.  The
Antibodies bind to the foreign substances (antigens) and render them
inactive.  As an infant the first antibodies are IgM then there is a
switch to IgG.  IgG antibodies are the most predominant in your body.
IgA antibodies are called secretory antibodies and are found in places
like mucus membranes.

When you have an immune reaction to something, example gluten or wheat,
your body may make many types of antibodies to the foreign substance ,
some antibodies can be IgG, some IgA, some IgM etc.  The endomysial
antibody screening test for celiacs is looking for antibodies against
the endomysial or lining of the small intestine because in celiacs
exposure to gluten causes an autoimmune reaction meaning it causes the
body to react against itself and make antibodies to the endomysial.

This information is based on my 18 years of training in immunochemistry.
I tried to make it easy to understand.  Hope it helps.

Susan

__________________________--
Hi Jane,
Being of a mother of two teenagers always waiting until the last minute
to do a report, perhaps I can help.

IgA - Anti-Endomysial Antibody
IgG and IgA Anti-Gliadin Antibody
IgA = Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody
IgA - Anti-Reticulin Antibody

A combination of these autoantibody tests provides the most effective
method for the serological diagnosis of CD.

For further information on CD and serum antibody testing, contact:
www.immcodiagnostics.com

Good luck.

Cindy in NJ (chairwoman for Celiac-Sprue Support Group)

___________________________________
Jane -
Suggestion - Call a hospital outpatient lab and ask.

The IgA and IgG are not the most accurate tests for
Celiac Sprue.  There is a new test, just  few months old,
called the tTG, which stands for tissue Trans Glutamanase.
It is 98% accurate for diagnosing Celiac Sprue, but will
miss the other 2%.  I don't know how many places have it.

I found out about this at a talk by Dr. Fasano of the Celiac
Center at the University of Maryland - talk given here in the
Chicago area to Celiac Sprue Association of Greater Chicago.

Vicki Jones

______________________________________
Here it is:

The web site for "Testing for Celiac" is
http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/diag-tst-html/

If you get an "A" I want you to write me.

Jane Trevett - New Haven, CT

The labs for testing are Specialty Labs - their web site is:

http://www.specialtylabs.com and

IMMCO DIAGNOSTICS LAB 1-800-527-8378

http://www.immcodiagnostics.com

Good luck