From:
Lauren Sarantou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 21:00:36 +0900

Thankyou to all those who took the time to answer my question about
the relative merits of a couple of brands of tapioca starch.

Of the 37 very kind people who took the time to answer me, no-one
recommended Bob's (so why is it so much more expensive, I wonder?).
15 recommended Ener-G as the production line is apparently dedicated
to gluten-free milling, whilst Bob's is not. A few people mentioned
they got ill from Bob's but some said they couldn't tell the
difference but still chose Ener-G just in case.

10 wonderfully clever people mentioned that tapioca flour is widely
used in Asian cooking and is available for a low as 59c a pound from
Oriental grocers! Many people guessed I am in Japan and suggested
that tapioca starch would be easily obtainable here as it is used in
Asian cooking. This, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be the case. The
Japanese use the starch from a kind of yam. It's called katakuriko. I
haven't had much success baking with it.

Here's some more info I received.

*Here is info about tapioca and some of the names you might find it under:

http://www.orst.edu/food-resource/kelsey/abstract/abstract_niba.html

* I also order tapioca flour from
Authentic Foods 1-800-806-4737 or www.authenticfoods.com  A 2.75 pound bag
of tapioca flour is $5.20 or if you order 3 or more bags it's $4.80. Steve
Rice the owner is the nicest guy around and his products are in a
gluten-free environment.

*There is a company in the US called King Arthur Flour which has been
making unbleached, high quality flour since 1790.  They also put out a
catalog with many hard to find baking supplies in it.  My most recent
catalog lists tapioca flour @ $2.95 for one pound. (U.S. dollars).  King
arther does their US shipping by weight and has very fair charges. I
would assume their overseas charges are also reasonable.
Wesite is www.KingArthurFlour.com
1-800-827-6836
ask for a catalog since my experience of several months ago was that the
website does not have all the things the catalog does.  While the flours
are clearly out, they have potato flour, arrowroot starch, pans for
making rolls, dried veggies for adding to baked goods etc.

*There's a wholesale place in Spencer, NY, that sells bulk flours, including
tapioca (I go down once in awhile to buy things because it's not too far
away from me.  Many alternative flours and lots of kinds of beans.  I
believe they will ship.    I can't vouch for absolute gf-free of
contamination.   I'm not diganosed celiac but believe I have wheat allergy.
  Look up their website at www.raymondhadley.com for more information.

  *I order the tapioca starch from Essen nutrition.  They have
the best starch ever.  Your puddings and baked good will be fabulous.  They
are expensive but it is WELL worth it.  Here is the info.  Good Luck!

Essen Nutrition, 1414 Sherman Rd., Romeoville, IL  60446 Phone# is
1-800-582-6064.

The product # in the catalog is 01078 at $3.80 for 2#.  They also have Corn
flour, Potato Starch Flour, Rice Flour and Xanthan Gum.  The worst part is
the shipping up to 13# you have to add $8.50 and up to 25# you have to add
$9.50!!!!!But it is still well worth it.

http://www2.117.ne.jp/~chunky/index.html