From:
Mary Carol Koester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:34:55 EST

Thanks for the rapid response.  I got 35 responses.  8 have had bad
experiences. One said it was very good for upper respiratory infection and to
try and stick it out. Everyone said this is normal reaction to antibiotics
(this is a strong one) and to take yogurt/acidophilus/probacteria to help.
Bactrim and trovin and Cipro were mentioned as other antibiotics that are
g-f.  Stokes Guide says the tablet contains gluten but this should be
updated.  I called and they said the tablets, capsules, and suspension are
all g-f.  A pharmacist on the list said these drugs cause motility and it
should pass in a day or two.  Today was better.

This detail was provided: Zithromax is supplied for oral administration as
film-coated, modified capsular shaped tablets containing azithromycin
dihydrate equivalent to 250 mg azithromycin and the following inactive
ingredients: dibasic calcium phosphate anhydrous, pregelatinized starch,
sodium croscarmellose, magnesium stearate, sodium lauryl sulfate,
hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, lactose, titanium dioxide, triacetin and D&C
red #30 aluminum lake.

Zithromax capsules contain azithromycin dihydrate equivalent to 250 mg of
azithromycin. The capsules are supplied in red opaque hard-gelatin capsules
(containing FD&C red #40). They also contain the following inactive
ingredients: anhydrous lactose, corn starch, magnesium stearate, and sodium
lauryl sulfate.

It is also supplied as a powder for oral suspension.

Zithromax for oral suspension is supplied in bottles containing azithromycin
dihydrate powder equivalent to 300 mg, 600 mg, 900 mg, or 1200 mg
azithromycin per bottle and the following inactive ingredients: sucrose;
sodium phosphate; tribasic; anhydrous; hydroxypropyl cellulose; xanthan gum;
FD&C red #40; and spray dried artificial cherry, creme de vanilla and banana
flavors. After constitution, each 5 ml of suspension contains 100 mg or 200
mg of azithromycin.

Also under side effects...

Multiple-Dose Regimen: Overall, the most common side effects in adult
patients receiving a multiple-dose regimen of azithromycin were related to
the gastrointestinal system with diarrhea/loose stools (5%), nausea (3%), and
abdominal pain (3%) being the most frequently reported.

Lactose in both types of pills.  If you are lactose intolerant this could be
a problem. I would also question the source of the 'pregelatinized starch'

Also a home remedy:  If you have access to a "white pine" tree, you can make
a tea from the needles that is a natural decongestant, originally used by
native Americans.  Gluten free & not recalled.  I just put a large bunch of
needes, whole or the twig or chopped in a pan of water or in measuring cup of
water in the microwave.

    White pines have light gray bark & fine 3 inch needles, bundled in groups
of 5.  I've used this several time when i've been sick to relieve the
coughing and chest tightness that are an aftermath of a cold or flu.  Tastes
terrible (adding a bit on honey helps) so I only use it when I'm desperate.
Fewer side effects than OTCs.

 As a forester, I liked this one but not sure I'm going to try it.

Thanks a lot.  mc