From:
Joan K. Davitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 08:01:40 -0400

Listmates,

Here is what I have learned so far about finding GF meds. for surgery. The
medications that they may use for my surgery include:

 lidocaine (a local anesthetic given intramuscularly or I.V.) according to
Abbott (the manufacturer) it is GF this is in solution form. I didn't ask
about any other form. Abbott also produces fentanyl (in solution form) and
that is GF as well (I.M. or I.V.) Abbott's number is 800-633-9110. It took
2 days for them to get back to me.

 Versed produced by Roche is also GF. The women reported that all of their
products are GF. # 800-526-6367

 Diprovan produced by Zeneca is also GF. The suspect ingredients, glycerol,
sodium hydroxide (a base), and disodium edta are not derived from grains
according to the hospital pharmacist. The company rep. couldn't tell me how
these chemicals are derived. Nb. this contains soy and eggs for those of
you with food allergies. #800-237-8898.

Below are other helpful responses from list mates:

"call stokes pharmacy in NJ...they have an 800 no.  I recently had surgery
and the hosptial themselves called to check the meds...Just call during
business hours."

"The medications you will be receiving will be given intraveinous, so they
shouldn't be a problem for celiacs.  The reaction of gluten occurs in the
small intestines when injested by eating.  I am an RN who works in anesthesia
so I am familiar with those drugs.  I also had surgery last year, they used
those drugs and I did not have a problem, but everyone has different
reactions.  I highly doubt they contain gluten anyways. Diprovan (or also
called Propophol) is a problem for those who are allergic to eggs or soy.  I
hope this alleviates your concerns."

"Joan  Sodium hydroxide is lye.  I believe it is made from wood ash. Lye is
caustic, so to be in a medication, it must be used to to neutralize something
else.  If hydrochloric acid is neutralized by sodium hydroxide, the resulting
product is (table) salt and water."

"I am not a scientist, but I had oral surgery yesterday with lidocaine and it
was fine.  I am very sensitive to gluten and other additives and do not
respond to novocaine, by the way.

Nancy in nyc"

"Hi Joan,
According to an over-the-counter and prescription med book I have, the
only med I found was Fentanyl (Sublimaze) by Janssen (800) 526-7736 is
GF and Lactose Free. If you can give me the name of the Pharmaceutical
Company perhaps I can give you the telephone number to call them.

Cindy in NJ (chairwoman for Southern NJ Celiac Support Group)"

joan
Ardmore, PA