From:
Bill Nussbaumer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 21:43:37 -0400
A friend of mine just bought a Geforce2 card and has been having some
problems.  After a few minutes of playing any game his monitor will shut
off but sound continues.  The monitor doesn't completely shut down but
loses signal and goes into standby mode.  Only a reboot will bring it
back.  His first card was the Creative brand and he exchanged it for the
Guillemont.  Same problem with both.  Others on the newsgroups have
reported seeing the same problem regardless of the brand of card (creative,
hercules, elsa, guillimont, it didn't seem to matter) but it seemed like
the common denominator was the fact that they were all running the Abit BH6
motherboard.  My friend has the Abit BH6 (and I do too so I'm very
interested in this for when I buy a GeForce2).

My questions are:

Will the Geforce2 (an AGP 4X card) work reliably in the AGP 1X Abit BH6
main board?

Would running this board require power requirements not handled by the Abit
BH6? (Kind of the same question)

One respondent on the newsgroups claimed to solve his problem by setting
his AGP aperture size to 16 (down from the default 64).  When my friend
attempted this the could no longer run games in 16 bit color.  Could
someone shed some light on this?  What exactly does the aperture size do?
Why would it make the card more stable and why would it disallow games
running at 32 bit color.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

- Bill Nussbaumer

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: