AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"John F. Elmer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 11:51:15 -0700
Erica.....

While you may now have the need right now, at some point you may have
students with significant mobility impairment who will need at
alternative to the traditional keyboard methods for input.  I always
think along those lines, since we serve a group of 21 college students
with severe cerebral palsy.  Our students use Morse Code input, single
switch scanning, and the "Tracker" as examples of alternate input, in
addition to using a word prediction program.  Additionally, you'll need
to think about the ability to provide captioning for videos,
alternatives for audios and audio/descriptive captioning.  Also, you'll
need to ensure that materials are accessible to screen readers, and,
hopefully, you can be successful in convincing faculty that they should
address the issues of access and universal design in what they are
teaching within that facility.  Multimedia CAN mean multiple barriers.

For alternative input, we favor the Don Johnston products....KE:NX is
quite comprehensive for the MAC and they have some nice modules for the
PC (though no Morse Code).  We use their CO:Writer word predicition
program on both the MAC and PC as well as Aurora for Windows for the PC.
 (Aurora: $500, KE:NX: about $800 (last time I checked...a while ago),
CO:Writer: $300, some of the Discover KE:NX modules:  starting at around $300).

The captioning, at least on the MAC, can be accomplished with QuickTime
Pro 3.0 which is $30.  I am not sure if the Windows version is out yet
and I am not sure if there are other reasonalbe options for that platform.

We have EZ Keys by Words+ and are not that thrilled with it, especially
given its price.  IT does not support the DOS Window in Windows (and
according to them, never will.)  This has been a real bone of contention
for at least one of our students who feels (and we agree) he deserves
FULL access to the Windows environment, including the DOS Window.
Words+ has told us that it is a Windows Program, not a DOS program, but
we see the DOS Window as a part of the Windows environment.)  We like
our other word prediction programs better, and EZ Keys is somewhat
problematic in terms of the location of the word prediction window.
Still, it DOES provide for Morse Code access to the PC, which is the
only why we have it.  I believe it costs $700 without voice output and
$1100-1200 with voice output.

Well, hope that helps.

John

--