From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:46:13 -0500
Sixto:

First, you must first identify (1) your current BIOS, (2) the manufacturer
of your motherboard, and (3) the exact model number of your motherboard. The
BIOS identification appears on the first screen that you see at bootup. Most
BIOS are written by either AMI, Award and Phoenix. Be sure to record the
BIOS string that (usually) shows up in the lower left hand corner of the
bootup page. That information will be very useful later, especially if you
are a bit unsure about the motherboard ID.

Go to the BIOS manufacturer's site first. Sometimes they are able to supply
an update, but most of them will tell you to contact the motherboard
manufacturer directly. Still, there may be some useful information, so look
around a bit before moving on. Once you have located the BIOS source, you
should find a listing of the latest BIOS for your system. They will also
have instructions as to the exact steps that are necessary to upgrade the
BIOS. Print the instructions out, and download the upgrade files. Read them
over several times. One thing to remember is that a mistake can leave you
with a dead system, so be careful. On the other hand, a lot of people have
upgraded a lot of BIOS with no problems at all.
You can find links to the BIOS and motherboard companies at
http://nospin.com/pc/links
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby