From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 21:06:59 -0700
>I have noticed there are a few "dog people" on this list who may be familiar
>with this, but for everyone else, the most powerful tool to stop unwanted
>behavior is to ignore it. If you have gotten to the point where you are
>beyond trying to educate someone, just completely ignore what they say or do,
>and the behavior will eventually extinguish. Something as small as a dirty
>look or smile in return will act as a reinforcement. You must behave as if
>you did not even hear the offensive remark. Then respond cheerfully to
>something else on another topic. The best general read on the subject is
>Karen Pryor's "Don't Shoot the Dog".
>
>Good Luck!
>Maddy Mason
>Hudson Valley, NY

Whoo! Right about that! I'm one of those dog folk, and I own the book. I've
successfully modified the behavior of many folks close to me, and done some
amazing things to people I disagree with as well. Operant conditioning can
be the most useful and the most Machiavellian of methods at the same time,
and is consistent with love and kindness. Pryor cites someone's training a
hermit crab, and it works just as well on your s.o. - and they'll never
know and love you all the more!

ginny and Tomo, "I heard you twice the first time, Mom"

All stunts performed without a net!