Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 08:08:35 -0400
> > Don said:
(in reference to talk of Dr. Weston Price's work from the 1930s)

> > "A marked variation of the incidence of irregularities was found in the
> > different tribes.  This variation could be directly associated with the
> > nutrition rather than the tribal pattern.

Cheyenne Loon <[log in to unmask]> said:
have any of these studies taken into consideration the possibility of dental
care habits?  Populations with starchier diets may have kept their decay
rates down by counteracting tooth decay with flossing or chewing fibrous
"tooth cleaning plants", like peelu.  Just wondering.

The people Dr. Weston Price studied did not have dental floss, tooth
brushes, nor accesss to dentists.  The funny thin in America is that we have
widespread access to and use of tooth brushes and floss---I brushed my teeth
as a child; I went to the dentist for regular teeth cleaning; I used
fluoride toothpaste and had fluroide appliations at the dentist.  And I
still had tons of cavities because I ate a lot of candy and pastries and
cookies and ice cream as a kid.  Given rates of dental decay in America, we
cannot assume or conclude that tooth brushing is the key to preventing
dental decay.  I know many people who flossed religiously, in addition to
brushing, who experienced rampant tooth decay on our modern diets.  Dental
infections reflect systemic infections from certain dietary deficiencies
(minerals, vitamins, A & D, protein) as well as excesses (of sugars,
starches, especially empty starches, and things that rob the body of
nutrients).

Rachel

Cheyenne