From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 10:04:28 -0400
Hi all,
I think there are some experts with experience with the Zone diet here.
Now I've read my first Zone book (The Anti aging Zone) and I have some
questions on it that may find an answer or a discussion about here.

Ok in a few words, i understand the Zone diet as working with the attempt
to alter the eicosanoid hormone composition in the body, working towards
the desired (impressive) goals.
Eicosanoids then are classified "good" or "bad".

Both, "good" and "bad" are made out of polyunsaturated fats of the
omega-6 series.
These can take two major paths, the good one, and the bad one
(the bad first produces AA arachidonic acid).
But the presence of omega-3 fats decrease the "bad" pathway,
creating the beneficial effects of these fats.
And insulin presence promotes the "bad" pathway.
I hope I'm right so far.

Besides omega-3 fats,
the Zone diet's efforts goes to lowering insulin peaks
(to increase the time, when more "good" eicos are made).
Enough protein shall be eaten in each meal to "promote"
the secretion of glucagon.
That glucagon should reduce the insulin peak.

My question:
Does glucagon *reduce* insulin, anyway?
I think they only work against each other?

and:
Can (high, any, whatever) protein in a meal reduce it's insulin peak?
I didn't find any reference for this claim.
Can anybody mention a reference or study, why or how or when
protein can decrease insulin levels if protein is *added* to a meal?

These question seem to be essential for the zone diet- aren't they?

What i found to be inconsistent in the theory:
Many small meals or snacks per day are recommended, each including
carbohydrate foods. But insulin goes up for a certain time after a meal
only. So with many meals or snacks you won't let the insulin ever
come back to normal - exept at nicht when sleeping.
Wouldn't it be much better to have few meals only, so there would be
only few insulin peaks over the 24 hours?

Can protein reduce insulin?

regards
Amadeus S.