From:
Norman Skrzypinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 14:24:23 -0400
Hi, Clelia.

Please see this website:
http://www.bu.edu/cohis/cardvasc/blood/anemcaus.htm

In many cases, anemia is due not to an iron-deficient diet, but to a
deficiency of the factors needed to assimilate it, vitamin B-12 or folic
acid.  If you regularly eat red meat, it's unlikely that your diet is
deficient in iron or B-12.  If you eat dark, leafy greens 2 or 3 times a
week, you're probably getting enough folic acid.

Your doctor can test your ability to absorb B-12, as described at the
website.  If your absorption rate is low, s/he will have to give you B-12
injections.  After a series of injections, you may be able to begin to
assimilate enough of it on your own.  That was true for my wife, 15 years
ago; she's had no problem since then.

Norm