From:
Eric Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 21:21:15 -0700
Great note, Ben. Responding to Ken's valuable reminder,
I finally got the title right -- or at least better.
I am now looking forward to reading Simopoulos' book.
Your analysis of the danger is quite interesting.

BTW: Thanks for reminding me that the term I was looking
for was "phospholipids". I believe my earlier message I
used a completely erroneous term. Thanks for overlooking it.

In my modified version of the PaleoPlan, I allow rice and
potatoes in reasonable amounts as side dishes -- although
I find myself moving away from them rather easily, after
only a week. The effect of that modification is to
eliminate *refined* carbohydrates from my diet -- bread,
cake, cookies, tortillas, muffins, bagels, etc.

Thinking about it, that strategy has accomplished several
important goals that would help to account for losing
4lbs in a week, with pretty much no desire to eat them.
(Usually, when you cut out things, you wind up craving
them more strongly than ever. But on this diet, I don't
miss what I've cut out at *all*.)

To get back to the point, cutting out refined carbs has
had the effect of:
  1) Completely avoiding the partially hydrogenated poisons
     that are present in most of the refined-carb "food"
     products.

  2) Made me fill up on vegetables instead of bread and
     things -- high-fiber foods that have regulated blood
     sugar very, very nicely, thank you very much.

  3) Put the meals into the 40-30-30 "Zone" range. (In
     theory, you can eat any kind of carbs. But when you
     do the math, you wind up needing to balance that
     candy bar with a pound of bologna -- so eliminating
     refined carbs is the only practical way to stay in
     "the zone".