From:
Marsha in Texas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:03:50 -0600
>>Thanks for asking<<
By Jane Greig
Austin American-Statesman
Sunday, March 26, 2000

Q: I have a 7-year-old fascinated with miniature corn on the cob. He wants
to know where they grow, and if we can get the seeds to grow them in our
yard. Clayton is going to be watching daily for the answer.
-- Michelle R.

A: It's doable and the time is now.

Grow baby ears of corn with any variety of sweet corn. The trick? Plant the
corn close together, and harvest the ears earlier than usual. Full-size corn
plants are spaced about a foot apart and harvested after the silks have
turned brown. Mini-corn is the product of cramming plants together, stunting
their growth. Harvest is just before the silks turn brown.

Pick these puppies five days after the silk appears, and peel carefully to
reveal a tiny but perfectly formed ear about 3 inches long.